Welcome!

Welcome to my blog for English 1080! My name is Andrew, feel free to read and comment. I hope you enjoy!

Friday 7 November 2014

Week 10: Quotes


"You'll be dead an awful long time." --Charles Warford

While probably not originating from him, this is a quote my pop used to always use.  He would always use this quote when himself or anyone else was debating whether or not to do something. It is from him that I know this quote and have come to use it myself. To me, this quote speaks to our short time on earth, something that we often under-appreciate. The quote means take risks, take advantage of opportunity, and most importantly do what you want, because "you'll be dead an awful long time."

"Well, life is (too short), so love the one you got..." --Sublime

Hailing from Long Beach, California, Sublime is a band with a laid-back style and some good messages in their lyrics. This particular quote is from the song What I Got. The song speaks of love and peace. I particularly like this quote because of it's message. Life really is short, so love while you can. If there are important people in your life you should love them while you can. If everyone took this view I believe the world would be a better place with more caring and acceptance. With our short time on this planet we need to take advantage of opportunities when we can, and hence love the ones we have while we can.

"O time, thou must untangle this, not I. / It is too hard a knot for me t'untie." --William Shakespeare

Twelfth Night is arguably one of Shakespeare's most popular plays. While I haven't yet read the play, a good friend of mine told me about this quote and I have taken a liking to it. The quote means that with time, all problems will be resolved. With time, everything will become less significant and make sense. I chose this quote because it is in relative contrast to the first two. While they speak of our short time here, and making the most of this time, this quote says to take your time as time will resolve your troubles. The image of untying is symbolic of problems being resolved. If one might take anything from this quote it should be the virtue of patience. With patience it will all work out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment